Monday, November 26, 2007

Daily Report: Money In The Wind

I was up early, with Epril's help. (It's so nice to have found a morning person.) Then, I spent 4 hours sorting and editing and uploading photos, and writing about Loy Krathong and looking up all the details of, and writing about, the Chinese temples and museum, and then laying out the blog posts. It's so much fun to do... but time consuming.

I finally got to work at about 11:00, and worked for 2 hours before breaking for lunch. I took Epril to Jerry's restaurant next to the pool again. She had the same chicken mushroom stew (which wasn't as good this time), while I had meatballs in tomato sauce for 120 baht, which was very tasty.

In the afternoon, work was absolutely awful. It was simply that all of the foreign language doctors whom I type for all decided to be really tired, eat lunch, and dictate 20-minute-long hematology chromosome analyses at the same time. It was pure hell, and after another 2 hours, I had only done 400 lines (as compared to 900 or more). So work today was a complete failure, more or less.

I bought Epril and my plane tickets for our Philippines Christmas vacation today. It's a stark example of how much the dollar has depreciated against the rest of the world, the price of my tickets: Four years ago, when the baht was 42 to the dollar, my tickets would have cost $875. Now, those same tickets, all other things being equal, cost me $1,125... or in other words, I lost $250 into thin air because of the exchange rate. (We won't even get into the effect that oil prices are having on the cost of plane tickets.)

Monday nights of course are for Doctor Who... two episodes in a row, starting at 8:00 on BBC. The funniest line I've heard in a while: After chasing off some child-brained zombies looking for their mommies by shouting at them "Go to your room!! I'm very angry with you!!" Doctor Who said, "I'm so glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words."

No comments: