Thursday, November 22, 2007

Daily Report: Happy Thanksgiving

Up at 6:30, got to work at 9:30, worked until 1:30, took a 2-hour break, then worked from 3:30 until 5:30.

The American holiday of Thanksgiving in Thailand is just an ordinary day, but most American expatriates here have an interest in doing something for the holiday. For me, I like to gather up a couple of friends and take them to Bob's BBQ, where he puts on a highly delicious (if Texan... different than a Northeastern) Thanksgiving dinner.

So, at 7:00, Epril and I sat down with Geoff and Honey Mae for turkey with all the trimmings: There was cornbread stuffing, cranberry jelly, a green bean casserole, broccoli rice casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, home-baked dinner rolls, apple pie and pumpkin pie.

Geoff, being British, found several of the dishes new, while Epril and Honey Mae had never even had turkey before. Much to my surprise, everybody present loved every single dish. Epril was crazy about turkey with cranberry dressing, and had 2 slices of pumpkin pie. Honey Mae ate a huge pile of sweet potatoes. Geoff enjoyed everything that he could get his hands on.

All in all, Bob served about 50 or 60 people their Thanksgiving dinner, and if you are in town next year, it is 500 baht per person for an all-you-can-eat buffet.

After dinner, we all went back to my place for drinks, then Epril and I watched Mythbusters (rodeo myths) and "24", before going to bed.

Oh: I'd like to apologize to Pattaya Daily News if anybody from there is reading this. Their website has the most detailed coverage of all of the happenings in Pattaya, but for some reason, nobody... or at least nobody who is a native English speaker... proofs and spellchecks the stories that they put up on the internet. I've been leaving an occasional comment on their site about the inaccuracy of their translations and sloppiness of their spelling. They do fix the spelling errors, but I hope I'm not hurting anybody's feelings and apologize if I have. Pattaya Daily News really is the best internet source for local news which is updated every day, and it is really irksome to see such great information riddled with spelling errors and grammatical/translation faux pas. Hopefully I won't need to stop by and point those things out to them again.

No comments: