Wednesday, August 15, 2007

You're One Dead Duck

Two Cambodians were arrested on a bus coming to Pattaya from Northern Thailand carrying over 6,000 yaa-baa pills. (Yaa = "pill", baa = "crazy".) That many pills is pretty much a guaranteed death sentence in the Thai legal system.

So maybe that's the new plan: Thai drug dealers are getting Cambodians to do the dangerous work. It sort of makes sense. If you're making millions, why not pay even as much as half of those millions to keep yourself as distant from the drugs (and the cops) as possible? When you're risking your life, the more insurance you can get, the better.

Well, anyway, congratulations to the Pattaya Police Department for the great catch. I'm sure it's only a week's worth of pills... but it's still substantial.

p.s. Question: I've always wondered why the people who make yaa-baa don't change the pill style once in a while. The red triangles are so ubiquitous that cops barely have to try to find them. Why not change shapes and colors each month, or even make them look like Tylenol pills? In the end, it probably wouldn't save you from jail, but it may pass casual inspetion.

2 comments:

jj said...

First of all I am not a stupid tourist. Lived in Thailand during the war.
Can you give me some information about the drug "Yaa Baa"? I am in US and believe I was drugged in Thailand in August and have been reading your blog and think you may be able to answer this for me.
Do the street women use this often?If not what drug was most likely used on me? It produced a disconnected feeling(lack of concern), hazy, agitated.
If so what are it's effects after about 30 minutes?
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
JJ

Jil Wrinkle said...

Sorry... I couldn't answer that question as I have no experience with any drugs like that. However, Yaa Baa is basically methamphetamine, so I'm sure the effects are similar.