Monday, August 13, 2007

Daily Report: Damn My Luck

I woke up to find a problem.

I've said before that my air conditioner leaks. It's right above the window in my office, and drips past the curtain rod. What happened last night is that the drips hit the curtain rod, ran down the entire length of that curtain rod, made it to the curtain, ran down the length of the curtain, and then onto my second desk, creating a nice puddle right where my phone... my expensive Motorola RAZR phone... was sitting: A sterling example of Murphy's Law in action.

Well, the phone is almost 3 years old, which in phone dog years is about the equivalent of being 150 years old, and it was a bit beat up... so it's not the worst loss. My new camera in that water... that would have sucked bigguns.

Since I've fallen out of love with fancy mobile phones anyway, and I do have a nice 7.2 mexapixel Cybershot for my photo needs, and additionally I have no interest in mobile web surfing, I'm going back to el-cheapo phones for a while: A plain old Nokia 2626 little candybar of a phone for 3,000 baht.

Anyway, work was terrible today: Monday mornings always are. It took me 5 hours of slogging to finish what normally takes 2½ hours. In the evening, I watched some television.

Oh: To Anonymous Poster (I wish you people had names, I really do) I took your comments about dieting to heart, which is to eat a bunch of small meals each day to avoid getting hungry... a tried-and-true method to losing weight... and ate leftover Fuji today at a rate of one block-of-rice-fish thingy every 2 hours. It worked great, although in the evening I slipped a little bit. I'm also going to start on the basic concept of that "Fat Buster" diet that you mentioned as well, which is about as smart a diet as you can get: Eating all the fruits and vegetables you want, and nothing else. (Well, I'll still have a bit of milk in my coffee in the morning.)

2 comments:

Steve Loeding said...

Jil - in addition to fruits and veggies, make sure you get some meat. The most effective diets are high in protein and low in refined sugars (candy, white bread, pasta, even white rice). I think noodle soup is fine. If you simply eat Thai food for the majority of your meals, you'll be fine. Hey - you're in Thailand !!! It doesn't get any easier. And I think it's fine to go out a couple of times a week and have a meal at a restuarant. Also if you want a beer or two at night, by all means have them. After all, you only live once (unless you've become Buddhist). I'd also start lifting weights as well.

Love the blog - keep up the good work and good info

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that it is helping you. I wish you success.
Signed
Anon...OK OK it's really.... Mike