Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thursday Babe Blogging: Online Project Edition

Yes indeed, ladies and gentlemen, today we have the unveiling of the "online project" which I have been mentioning for the last 3 or 4 weeks on this blog. The online project is also this week's Babe of the Week: Epril from the Philippines.
I met Epril online last month, and we have been chatting and video conferencing and telephoning each other every day since. I, like hundreds of my fellow Pattaya expats, have decided to go find a Filipina. I'm flying over to Manila tonight, then going down to the southern city of Cagayan de Oro for a fun-filled weekend with my new-found companion, and — assuming everything is as good in person as it is online — we will be coming back to Pattaya together on Monday.

So, allow me to explain my decision to choose a girl from The Philippines:

First and foremost, it is about communication. I have learned more about Epril in the month we have known each other than I ever learned about Pui in the 18 months we were together. I have chatted with Epril's entire family, who all speak English... whereas I could barely communicate with Pui's family. Epril understands me, understands the details of our relationship, and generally knows what to expect... as do I.

I put a lot of effort into learning the Thai language, and I speak it better than 99% of the expatriates in Thailand. It still wasn't enough in the end. A lack of understanding and a lack of communication with Thai girls (when I strive for perfect understanding and great communication) are the first reason I have chosen a Filipina.

Second, it is about culture and attitude. I had no problem with the Thai mindset in general, but with Pui, the devil was in the details: The lack of real interest in putting together a coherent plan for her future, my future, Pot's future; the lack of caring about things that are not of Thailand; and the impression I got that no matter how long we stayed together, I would still be "farang", and still be simply "he who gives me money."

Epril, on the other hand, has the opposite values: She can tell you exactly what she wants out of life, out of our relationship; she has a keen interest in cultures other than the one she was raised in, and can toss out a "Simpsons" quip, or the lyrics from Beach Boys songs; and she figures the money she makes from working will be more than enough to keep her family back home happy.

Yes, of course, I'm sure that I could have found a Thai version of Epril, and I'm sure that girls like Pui live in The Philippines, but as any person who is knowledgeable of both countries will tell you: Somebody like Epril is the exception, not the rule, in Thailand, and somebody like Pui is the exception, not the rule, in The Philippines. Quite simply, I am facing a 10-to-1 Pui-to-Epril ratio in Thailand (and that would actually be a 100-to-1 Pui-to-Epril ratio in Pattaya), and I've decided to better my odds.

Which leads me to my final, albeit least-important reason I'm choosing a girl from The Philippines: To merely hunt in a different direction. I've had four relationships here in Thailand: From a perky, witty college student with a blossoming modeling career to a plain-faced, simple rice farmer... They all seemed to represent different variations on a recurring theme of frustration. If I am to encounter problems or difficulties in my upcoming relationship, I only hope they are of a different sort.

Anyway, I leave tonight from Bangkok, and should be back at my desk on Tuesday morning, Pattaya time (Monday night, America). Pictures and stories of my (and Epril's) adventure will be forthcoming.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck Jil!
She is beautiful, and from what you describe, seems to be on your level.

Can't wait to read the latest news on your adventure.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thanks, Anon. Thanks for the well wishes. They are appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I have also experienced the joys and pitfalls of relationships with Thai and Phil women. I must say Phils are a different group they are very religous and deeply family oriented but do appear to allow themselves to move on with the new families they develop with men unlike Thai women. Like you said Thai's always say they want to go to America but as soon as they arrive they usually just want to go home. Farangs are always Farangs to Thai ladies hearts it cant be overcome trust me! Good luck with the new adventure I hope it lasts and makes you happy dude.
from Jakal

Anonymous said...

Jil, if you see this email me at spiider100@gmail.com. I can give you a heads up.

Anonymous said...

I want to wish you best of luck. It's too bad you didn't find a great Thai girl.
Some things to think about:
1. How well is she going to mix with the Thai women when you go out as a group?
2. Is she a frequent drinker? Will she adapt easily to your lifestyle or will you have to be the one to adapt.
3. Will she tolerate you going frequently to strip clubs?
4. Is she in a Christian religion and will that cause you a problem?
5. How much of the blame can you accept for your failed relationships?
We can and should strive to improve ourselves. Look inside yourself and figure out if you can improve yourself. We can all find something to improve on.
For a better future for her and for you.
Sincerely wishing you a happy and bright future.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Anon... all very good questions. Here are your answers:

(1) I don't know how well Epril will mix with Thai women, but there are lots and lots of Filipina ladies in Pattaya (hundreds) who seem to get along fine. Hopefully Epril does as well once she learns the language.

(2) She is not a frequent drinker, but does drink. She knows that going out and having fun is part and parcel to the relationship, and will partake as she sees fit.

(3) She knows that I go to TQ2 and places like that, and knows that I chat up the ladies and buy them a drink now and then. I'll bring her along as often as she wants to go, and as long as she is comfortable, to show her that it is all innocent fun, like I have told her already.

(4) Yes, she is Catholic, and understands that I am not. She may want to go to church on Sundays, and I might even go along from time to time, but as far as the role it plays in her life, I have gotten the impression that she is pretty "easy going" about religion, and does not require it to play any role in my life

(5) I accept all the blame for my failed relationship, inasmuch as it was me... in Thailand... with a Thai lady... dealing with Thai culture and language... which caused the relationship to fail. Was there anything that I did specifically wrong in those relationships? Of course... but nobody is perfect. Did I learn from those mistakes? Of course. But as I said... most of the relationship-ending problems arose from the Farang-versus-Thai problems of communication and culture that I mentioned above.

Thanks for your comments.

Nancy Molden said...

Hi Jil,

Have a safe trip and I hope this all works out well for you!

Love from your sis. :)

Anonymous said...

Jil - good luck! I wish you well in the coming adventure this weekend. I'm sure it'll go wonderfully!
Love from your mom
XXX

Steve Loeding said...

Jil - she is very pretty. I look forward to hearing about your time in the Philippines and about the relationship once you return to Thailand.

BTW - have you thought about moving there ? Or is the internet not quite up to the Thai standards ?

Anonymous said...

Jil
It seems that you have given it a lot of thought. I wasn't sure if you had so i was trying to provoke some.

Your a smart man and in the end you will be able to find happiness. Best of luck to you. May you be as happy as I am(which is very happy) because I found one of those Thai girls that can.

Unknown said...

Jil, Best of Luck with your new lady in Cagayan de Oro, a fairly typical town on the north coast of Mindanao without much charms but you can do escapes to nearby islands and resorts such as Camiguin, not far away, and east over to the islands of Surigao which has become a surfers destination in the last few years.

I've dated both Thais and Filipinos over the years, so I understand the differences, positive qualities, and setbacks that add up to a blackboard of plusses and minuses. You've just got to figure it out, without riskikng the bank or your sanity.

Anonymous said...

Jil,
Best of luck to you. I am in Pattaya and hope you come out and play when you get back. I am Talking to Chris at East Coast Choppers about maybe working here in Pattaya after the New Year and would like to meet you before I leave around the 4th or 5th.

DAGO

Svenne Farang said...

Wow, very interesting to hear about your Filipina girlfriend. I have travelled in the other direction so to speak. From the Philippines to Thailand and thaigirls. I will tell you everything you need to know about Filipinas, it is very easy to remember:

1. They are american in ambition.
2. They are chinese in business.
3. They are spanish in love.

Now, these things together makes one hell of a dangerous cocktail, which I never want to taste again.

But anyhow, good luck and I wish you all the best. Don´t forget to keep us updated here on the blog.

Anonymous said...

WOW what a combination indeed, might be worth lookin into the sun for that.

DAGO

Anonymous said...

Did not visit your site for some time. I am saddened to hear that it didn't work out with Pui. From the sound of it, she seemed to be too proud for her own good? Alas, always thought you, Pui & Pot make a great family. Best of luck with your new relationship.

Anonymous said...

Folks I met Jil and Epril for the first time today at the market, all looks well to me.

Anonymous said...

Yea, I met them both together and they should be fine.
Jil...don't mess this up!

Issarat said...

To the previous poster; regarding the PI 'cocktail'

American-ambition (at least they HAVE some sort of ambition-but not the fat asses that acompany many american females.

Chinese- business (look around thailand; ALL succesful business in the country is run/owned by thai/chinese)

Spanish- love (the spanish passion at least won't be corrupted over a few hundred baht)