Thursday, September 13, 2007

Daily Report: Valuable

There is one thing I pride myself on: My skill at my job, and my value to my company. Out of the 3,000 or 4,000 transcriptionists that my company employs, I could very easily be THE fastest, and THE most productive of all of them. (When I bitch about having done a bad day of work, the amount of work that I actually did do is usually enough to put me in the top 25% of all people signed on for that day on my team... and I usually work 6½ or 7 days a week, not just 5.)

A few days ago, here, I mentioned that I had lost my "STAT monitor" position to the branch of my company in India. That turns out not to have been the case... probably because I couldn't be replaced.

You see, about half of the "STAT work" usually comes in all at once: As doctors sign out from their workday at midnight... or 4:00 a.m... they sit down and dictate. During the rest of the night, there is also a steady flow of STAT work needing immediate attention. The only reason that one person (that person being me) can stay ahead of that onslaught of work is because that one person is twice as fast as an average transcriptionist... and probably about 4 times as fast as an Indian, who doesn't speak English as a first language.

So, (I'm guessing that) instead of needing one or two people in India to swoop in to pick up where I left off... India suddenly realized that they needed a whole lot more people, which they didn't have. I assume that the folks in India wrote back to the boss of the STAT accounts who originally had decided I wasn't "necessary" and said that they couldn't handle the extra workload my "departure" had created. So, it is defined as "for now" that I am a STAT monitor again, with the 20% bonus that that entails.

Anyway, it was a good day of work... but not spectacular. I was up early, but had fun blogging again, instead of working.

I had diced chicken and spaghetti sauce on French bread slices for lunch today... and sushi (heavy on the rice) for dinner. A little too much starch in my diet today, that's for sure. Somebody asked, so: The scale said 230 pounds (104 kg) when I declared "enough is enough" (in about the middle of July after my trip to America) and I quickly dropped down to 220 pounds (100 kg) in about 3 weeks, with a weighing-in of 218 pounds once. Since then... since about the middle of August... I've been hovering at 219–220 pounds, which is where I was when this blog started 2 years ago, but up 40 pounds from 5 years ago. I haven't been too strict with my diet lately, and more strictness and some exercise is definitely going to be required to get me down an additional 60 pounds... or even an additional 6 pounds for that matter.

I spent an hour on the online project this evening, and then had Mike over and we watched Mythbusters together. They covered hypnotism and myths associated with it.

1 comment:

Brunty said...

Hey Jil. I miss the show Myth Busters. Those to wacky insane guys are a hoot. I used to have pay TV in Australia and watched it religiously but here in Thailand I jst have cable at 350 a month and am too tight to pay the 2,000 for true vision a month.

I remember way back when they stuck 2 dead pigs in a really nice car to let them decompose and stink the car out for a few days and then clean it and sell the car. It was a real laugh.

I am sure that extra 16,000 per month will come in handy again.