Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Daily Report: A Long Day With Bad Software

I was up at 7:00, and work was just not too much fun. For starters, it's kind of like Monday (although it's Tuesday), because Monday was a holiday in America, so this week's Tuesday is a Monday.

Maid Go and I cooked stir fried lo-mein for lunch today. Absolutely delicious. It had a little bit of spaghetti and chicken thrown in, which goes against my diet... but I'm not complaining.

I worked slowly and sporadically throughout the afternoon, not really accomplishing much. For dinner, I just had a bowl of sunflower seeds.

At 8:00 tonight, I started my online training with my company for the new transcription software they are using via an internet classroom. Very cool experience: The teacher spoke and we 10 students listened, and through the classroom software, the teacher could show us what she was doing on her computer desktop, or she could show any of our desktops. We could speak into our microphones and talk and ask questions as well.

Unfortunately, what we were being trained for was not a cool experience: I have never seen software as bad as this new transcription software my company is using. I won't bother getting into the details, but I do have to say that somebody high up at my company must have received a pretty large bribe to decide to use this product. Not only are none of the features of it better than the software it was meant to replace, but in fact every single feature of it is actually worse than the old software. And, the software runs in "thin client" mode, meaning that the software isn't actually located on your computer... but is fed to you over the internet, and therefore it's very slow, even for people back in America (as I was able to see via the classroom connection). I will admit that the software is very easy to use... but when all of the features, options, and abilities that you needed to learn in order to operate the previous software have been removed, that isn't saying much.

Anyway, training finally ended at 4:00 a.m. Pattaya time... and I finally got to climb into bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Entertaining and useful.

Thanks,

Eric