Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Flag Burning Amendment

Yes, this is back in the news again. It looks like it could finally pass.

I don't care either way really: If it doesn't pass, then a specific, pithy, exercise in first amendment rights will win through. If it does pass, a specific, harmless but inflammatory act which had only occurred 45 times in 200 years (before Texas passed a law against flag burning in 1989, prompting lots of people to break the law), will be extra-super frowned upon, instead of just generally frowned upon, like it is now.

Of course, if they are going to ban flag burning because of the effect it has on people who see it, and the symbolic meanness it represents, then when is the U.S. Government going to pass a "Bible-burning Amendment"? Oh. Oops. Nevermind.

1 comment:

Jil Wrinkle said...

So... uh... does this mean you're against the Flag Burning Amendment? Or did you not read my post? Sorry... I'll admit, I didn't read your cut/paste comment, but I saw "Pledge of Allegiance" occur about 150 times in my skimming of it.

Words of Wisdom:
"Control Urge To Control V"