Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Update On Russian Tourist Murder Case

It seems that the two Russian ladies murdered on Jomtien beach weren't prostitues after all (much to the dismay of ThaiVisa.com posters, of course, who hate to have their rumor-mongering and Russian-race-baiting proven wrong), and instead the ladies were described by Thai police officials as coming from "affluent familes", and being "self employed".

The Thai police have offered a rather pitiful 100,000 baht ($3,000) reward for information leading to a murderer who has single-handedly threatened the billion-baht Russian tourist industry in Pattaya. (Glad to see they have their priorities straight.)

UPDATE on the update...

Pattaya City News has put together a comprehensive update, and there is one thing that I am seeing here: The Pattaya police are under an incredible amount of pressure to solve this crime, and... what's worse, to solve it quickly... from the national government.

If anybody from the government is reading this: Chai yen, folks. Too much pressure to produce a result is probably going to only produce an incorrect result... and that's only going to make a bad situation infinitely worse.

Oh... and England and America have issued travel warnings apparently.

2 comments:

SPIIDERWEB™ said...

Do you assume your blog is not read by "the man"?

You really come down hard on the authorities and I believe its just a matter of time until you're kicked out of Thailand.

I have a blog and am very critical of the US. I'm pretty sure I would never be allowed into the US because of my writings.

My blog is monitored by several government agencies. I see it all the time.

Kudos to you. You're honest and brave.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Heheh. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I have a couple cop friends that I'm sure would agree with everything I said (off the record), but then there is one Lieutenant Colonel who is still pissed at me for breaking the plastic molding on his pool, and is just looking for an excuse to get even. :-P