Monday, February 05, 2007

Daily Report: Parties

I had my alarm set for 5:30 a.m. this morning, and I can actually proudly say that I was not asleep at 6:00 a.m. Granted, I was standing in the middle of my bedroom in a swaying stupor, but I had accomplished the feat of awakeness nonetheless.

I got in a shower, and it was off to Bob's for a Superbowl SunMonday Morning Party. Unfortunately, I arrived halfway through the first quarter, and already the score was 14 to 6. I missed essentially half the game, it turns out.

I didn't win the pool, of course. I didn't feel too bad though: Another of Bob's friends at the party was in a $100,000 (dollar, not baht) pool back in America, and a missed field goal just before half-time denied him a $25,000 prize. Glen, however, won both the first quarter and half time prizes at Bob's, so he had a good day.

I left about midway through the third quarter (as soon as the Bears kicked a field goal, making my pool numbers a statistical impossibility) and went home and got some work done. Then I had spaghetti for lunch, and spent a good portion of the afternoon goofing off.


I know it seems cruel to snap photos
of a suffering little kid, but I had
the "shutter sound" on my phone set to
"chimpanzee", and was trying to cheer
Pot up by pretending that my phone
thought he was a monkey.
Pot was home sick from school today, and he is still quite miserable. So what does Pui do? Take him over to Mem's house while she helped Mem get ready for her birthday party so that Pot could play with the kids visiting Mem from upcountry if he wanted to. Now, I'm convinced that Pui is not mentally defective, and that it is merely her Thai reasoning and culture that leaves me baffled at times... not her intelligence... but still. Sheesh.


Mem's birthday party at Stan's house.
This evening, Pui and I were off to Mem's birthday party at Stan's house in the evening. There were about 40 people there, 50% Thai and 50% farang. The gang from TQ2 was there, and Bob did the food. There were piles of ribs, bar-be-que chicken, crab, shrimp, and two pigs over open fires.


Mem and Pui. (Pui is so hard to get a
good photo of. She's got the most
glowing smile, but she's uncomfortable
really letting it shine for the camera.
I spent some time talking with my friend Geordan, who is an Aikido instructor here in Pattaya. He's interested in getting hired by my company to work. I'm actually interested in taking some Aikido lessons, and will have to get back to him on that once I find some spare time.

I called it a night at about 9:30, as did most of the farangs. However, the Thai people were upstairs on the back deck with the karoake machine, and Pui wasn't going to be torn away from a night of Thai food, Thai drink, and Thai music with her Thai friends. So therefore she is catching a ride home with one of her friends later in the evening.

No comments: