Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Oh Shit

It looks like this time Thailand Immigration is serious: No more visa runs.

That's me.

Well, it's bad, but it isn't escape-proof.

First, the rule is that you can only have a total of 3 non-visa tourist entry stamps (me) in your passport in a row, and then you can't get another one for 90 days. So, that means that I just have to get a Thai visa in my passport. This kind of visa is a 60-day visa that can be extended at any immigration center (such as the one in Pattaya) for 30 days for a total of 90 days. The only drawback is that in order to get this type of visa, I would have to go to Penang in Malasia, Phnom Phenh in Cambodia, or Vientienne in Laos (where I love to go) to visit a Thai Consulate and get a new visa every 90 days (as opposed to a visa run every 30 days). Generally pretty simple, if not as cheap as a quick zip out to the Cambodian border.

Second, Mike is going to look into getting me a work permit, since he is eventually going to need me to work for his company. That way, I'll be able to stay for a year at a time without any hassle. That ball should start rolling tomorrow.

Third, if all else fails, there is always Sihonoukville, which is the Cambodian version of Pattaya, a day's drive down the coast. Cambodians love rich Westerners living in their country, and will happily put a 1-year visa in your passport for $200. (Or... at least last I checked, they would.) Laos is another option, but I don't know any details yet about staying there long-term. However, Pui and Pot certainly love the place.

So, really, not to worry: I just have to jump through some more hoops in order to ensure my stay here in paradise, but nothing at this point indicates a departure for less-greener — but more welcoming — pastures.

Oh: And I've lost track of the number of times this subject has burnt up the internet and scared the bejesus out of the local expatriate population. The only difference this time is... well... the immigration people do seem a bit more serious about it.

No comments: