Monday, April 17, 2006

Lazy Sunday

I had Mike and Stan over for beers and pizza yesterday out by the pool. Afterwards, Mike took a nap on my couch.

The cork on my 1700-baht bottle of Drambuie is as stuck as stuck can be. Cemented right in the neck. I twisted and pulled and it wouldn't come off.

Mike and I worked on getting it off. I had left it in the freezer for a couple of days, and then put it out in the pool hoping that would thaw/loosen the cork so that we could pop it out. I took a meat cleaver between the plastic cap on the cork and the glass, and rapped on it with a pestle to see if I could jimmy the cork out.

Finally, we just gave up and tried to use the meat cleaver to cut through the stuck cork.

The cleaver sheared clean through with a loud crack, and Drambuie spilled over the counter.

"Uh Jil," Mike said, holding up the plastic top, "you do know this is a screw top, right?"

"No it isn't... I'm not that stupid."

Oh yes I was.

No comments: