Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Eating Fish In Thailand

I took Pui and Pot out to lunch on Walking Street today. Amazingly, we drove all the way down the hill, and walked the entire length of Walking Street, and the only person who didn't pay any attention to my dead-eye keep-away sneer was some douchbag Scot who hosed Pui down with a water cannon. (Doesn't it always work out like that?)

Well, we wouldn't have gone out at all if we weren't willing to tolerate it if and when we got wet.

We went to lunch at that big seafood place on Walking Street. There may be good seafood in Thailand, but in general, I've not had it. I had a half kilo of scallops for 300 baht, but that included the shells... and the paltry little bits of dime-sized meat represented about 100 grams total. I had been giving a thought to having lobster, but at 1,600 baht per kilo (and Thai lobsters don't even have claws) I'd essentially be paying 1,000 baht (US $25) for a single lobster tail.

Really, the only fish that I am willing to put on my plate in Thailand is (1) shrimp, (2) crab, and (3) whole fried fish. Probably the fact that I'm really not a fish person means that all of the good stuff in Thailand is wholly uninteresting to me.

No comments: