Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Illegal Immigration

First and foremost, I'm an illegal immigrant in Thailand. I, like thousands of others like me, am abusing the tourist visa rules in order to stay in this country. (Therefore, I'm not technically "illegal", but... well... let's be realistic.)

I have no problem with somebody being an illegal immigrant in a country, only as long as they can maintain themselves "outside the system". In other words, if you can find a way to support yourself, get around, and just plain old survive in the country you are in illegally without the benefits of being a citizen there, then more power to you.

Living in Thailand, I am totally aware that coming back across the border from a visa run one day, the Thai border patrol could tell me that I'm not allowed back. I could be stopped by the Pattaya police and they could look at the 3 years worth of tourist visas in my passport, and decide to chuck me out. That is their right. I have no right to complain. My house, my friends, my belongings, my girlfriend, everything dear to me... it could all be half a world away from me before I realize what happened.

If Thailand passes a law stating that one needs to have a Thai driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in this country, well then I'll stop driving. If they decide that only Thai people can have cell phone accounts, I'll give my phone to Pui.

If things get too bad, I'll make plans to find someplace else to live.

The one thing I will not do is march around insisting that I should receive the same benefits of citizenship as Thai people. I'm in Thailand illegally and I don't have that right.

I came to Thailand because life is better here. My money goes further. I have more freedom and more fun here. If I were tossed out, I'd wind up back in America where I don't have many of the joys and benefits that I enjoy in this country. However, I accept the fact that I could be forced to leave Thailand at any time and that is part and parcel of the life that I choose to live here.

That's the way it is with illegal immigrants around the world. Everywhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

any issue with opening a local bank account and repatriate monies back to your home country?

how about house ownership? any issue on that?

Jil Wrinkle said...

Bank account: I believe I can open a bank account on a tourist visa. I assume that funds can flow both ways.

House ownership: No generally, but yes... if you open up a Thai corporation that you own only 49% of. (Apartments/condos... much easier.)

In truth, that is why there are so many expatriates (illegal immigrants) in Thailand: It is exceptionally easy to remain here "outside the system".

Issarat said...

It's even easier to be 'outside the system' in the USA as nobody ever stops and asks for any papers or identification.
Jil, do you have a room for rent? ha ha

Anonymous said...

You CAN open a bank account. I did. You can have funds flowing both ways but out is more complex than in. Riza has an account that she puts money in for family and sent them the ATM card, cheaper than western union and probably cheaper than bank transfers but not sure of fees. Only have to be careful of "illegal" withdrawals by the shady characters around.