Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Daily Report #1797

There was still no work to do this morning, and instead I spent the time wandering around the internet... and didn't find too much of interest. (Or at least if I did, I can't remember it now.)

I had a late-morning nap, and had Indian food for late lunch.

In the evening, I watched a fascinating documentary movie on The Discovery Channel called "Grizzly Man", about Timothy Treadwell, a slightly loopy and definitely hippy guy who decided to go to Alaska to become a self-taught bear expert. He spent 13 seasons with the grizzlies, was a bee in the park rangers' bonnets, chased away tourists, and was overall questionable in his methods, motivations, and the results he achieved... but at the same time he did become a master at interacting with grizzly bears in the wild, and educated lots of people and raised awareness. He and his girlfriend were killed and eaten by the bears they loved in 2003, and the 2-hour documentary film made about him is one of the most interesting things I've watched on television in ages. I highly recommend renting the movie or watching it if you haven't yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, Herzog's account of the Grizzly Man is fascinating...

I think you would also like Herzog's "Incident At Loch Ness." Hint: Watch it before you read about it...

BTW, great pics from the Philippines. Your gal's family looks like a lot of fun to visit.

mataho from koh lanta (in the states for the holidays...brrr)

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Epril's family are some of the most enjoyable folks I've met in Asia, and I'm really happy to know them.