Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thai Boxing

I've always assumed that the Thai boxing that you see on Walking Street has a bit of fakery to it. I've believed this because I couldn't imagine getting into the ring each night... or 2 or 3 times a night... and getting the shit smacked out of you.

However, I adjusted that attitude after tonight. I only have one unanswered question:

If you're a strong young Thai boxer, just how much damage can you do if you hit someone as hard as you can upside the head with one of those big junior-league poofy gloves? Because that is what I saw, and it was a hell of a shot. I'm assuming not too much damage. I'm still assuming that the TKO the one guy scored wasn't quite as legitimate as it appeared, but they do whomp on each other as hard as they can with their bumper gloves.

(Oh... in case anybody thinks that this means that you stand a fair chance with stepping into the ring with these guys, get real. These guys have a success ratio of about 1 broken rib per kick... they just don't do it to their sparring partners.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most of the 'ber bar" fights are all for show.

Some have real fights in the ring on a Fri. or Sat. night and then the action is real - local camps in the area like Sityathong and the like.

The guys who fight every day in these places are normally ex muay thai fighters , who all know each other - they will beat the living shit out of anyone who never trained as hard as they did.

I have seen cocky farangs get in the ring with them , and get dropped by skinny little guys.