Wednesday, May 24, 2006

If You Can't Beat 'Em

Pui was quite upset the two times (so far) I have blown up and whupped Pot. However, she has quickly come to recognize the benefit of the "wait 'till your father gets home" ploy, and has been using it frequently on Pot. Now Pui has arrived at the actual desire to hand over the disciplinary duties to me when she reaches her wit's end. In other words, now Pui has arrived at "beat his ass Jil!!!"

It's the ultimate parenting skill isn't it? Applying corporal punishment without being angry. Hell: It's easy to whup a child when he's gone and really pissed you off. Just remember that he's a child. That's nothing. But to just whup a child without being angry first? I don't think I can do that. I don't want to go around smacking him when I am pissed off. Now I'm supposed to do it all cold and calculatin' style?

Even worse, I can't effectively explain to Pot why he's getting smacked, and therefore all I am going to be is a loaded weapon that Pui can discharge whenever she thinks Pot needs it. That's really not my bag.

Still though, Pot is a kid who can get way out of line (like any child), and he definitely responds to it when I unload on him. I just know what it's like to be in Pot's shoes in those instances, and... well... damn. It was something that I told myself I wouldn't have in my arsenal as a grownup.

Well, I'll figure something out.

No comments: