Sunday, July 23, 2006

Party

I got a call Friday night from my oldest friend in Thailand, Lolo, who is the head choreographer of the Tiffany Show. Her birthday party was Saturday night, and I was invited.

I haven't seen Lolo (or any of the Tiffany's folks) in almost a year, and it was great to hear from her. Of course I (and Pui, who hasn't met any of these people yet) would be going.

The one downside (and one of the reasons I haven't seen Lolo and company for so long) is that they are nocturnal: The party would start at about 1:30 a.m. after Lolo first finished work at Tiffany's (11:00 p.m.) and then finished putting on her daily cabaret show at Boyz Boyz Boyz (1:00 a.m.).

I went to sleep at 8:00 and woke up at 11:00 to take a shower and get ready. Pui, a little more excited about the party, didn' get any sleep, but instead spent her time fixing her hair.

First we went to Boyz Boyz Boyz, stopping at Foodland to pick up a bottle of Hennesy as a birthday present. Pui had never been to a gay gogo bar before and didn't care for it very much, but I got her laughing by pointing out how most of the guys on stage had socks stuffed down their shorts, and besides... Lolo's show started rather quickly, so Pui didn't have to put up with the boys show for very long.

The show was the usual sequined gowns and lip-synching of Broadway tunes and camp classics, and lasted for about half an hour. After that, we met Lolo and everyone in the show out in front of the bar. Lolo had to make a stop at her house before going to the party, and put us in the charge of (another) Pui, whom we followed out to Ot's house. Ot is the creative director for the Tiffany's Show. I had been to his house once before, and knew that it was across Sukhimvit Road somewhere, but had forgotten where. It turns out it he lives on Soi OBL, with the entrance to his housing development about half a mile away from my own.

So anyway, just about everybody I knew from the Tiffany Show was there, and it was really great to see all of these people again. Photos:

My Pui and Tiffany's Pui (still in her Tiffany's stage makeup) hit it off. That's one of the things I enjoy most about having Pui as a girlfriend. Most Thai girls, if you put them in a social situation where they don't know anybody, will go all quiet and introverted. Pui will immediately get to work getting to know people. The fact that she was able to make friends and have a great time among the Tiffany's crowd, which is about as insular and as cliqueish as you could ever hope to see, says a lot about her outgoing personality.

This is Lolo on the right and my second oldest friend, Oad, on the left. I actually took a road trip with Oad, Lolo, and their friends Seiko, Bob, and Tum to Chantaburi to visit Oad's family about 2½ years ago. That was a good time.

Below is Ot in the center, the creative director for the Tiffany's show, with Lolo, head choreographer on the right, and Bob, another one of my old friends, who is kind of the "star" of Tiffany's show. Actually, all of them are among the first people I met when I arrived in Thailand.

No comments: