Monday, November 07, 2005

Pet Peeve

Well, not so "pet", and quite peeving.

Took has worked her way though all of my action movies on DVD. (She does her English workbook while she watches a movie.) Last night, we watched the only action-like movie that she hadn't seen yet: Saving Private Ryan.

Here is my genuine, "if I could change this about you, I would" peeve: Took laughed through a lot of the movie. Not at the blood and guts... but in other places no less improper. Example: A soldier with his hearing gone because of a grenade exploding next to it shouts and has to be shouted at in order to converse. Took found this quite funny. The mother collapsing on the front porch got a giggle.

The night before, we had attemped to watch "Meet the Fockers", which I thought would go over well. "Where's the funny parts?" Took asked about halfway through.

If she were a farang, I'd consider this a mental glitch... but being Thai (a race that laughs at odd times), and not always having a perfect undertstanding of what she is watching, I have to withhold judgment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jil
Had the same experience , while watching Saving Private Ryan in the Royal Gardens Cinema .

I sat through the movie cringeing while the whole cinema was laughing .

It was the bit with the solider going back to pick up his arm , that was found the most hilarious .

Found it very uncomfortable .

Jil Wrinkle said...

Well, actually that's good. At least I know that it isn't just Took.

The thing I wonder now is if they understand that laughing is improper, but can't help themselves, or if they wonder why we don't laugh as well.

Anonymous said...

Jil
I must admit I looked at Thais differently after that day in the cinema .

I dont blame them though .

I get my own back , with more Thai movies being shown with eng. subtitles , I drag the GF to these , then laugh out loud at random points .

You eventually get paranoid glares .