Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Big Mistake

I made a major mistake at work:

In order to do a dictation, a doctor picks up the phone and starts punching in numbers, including the medical record number, before starting his dictation. When I open the job, all that is there is the medical record number. I click on a button, and all of the patient information associated with that medical record number is loaded into the document.

Well, this doctor, after having punched in all the numbers, apparently lost track of what he was doing, and in between punching in numbers, and starting his dictation, he changed patients on me, and I never noticed.

(To the doctor's credit, he did dictate the new MR# and the new patient name... but I didn't notice, as I was too busy doing other transcription-associated things at that moment.)

Anyway, in the realm of transcription mistakes, this one ranks near the top, and results in an instant "Corrective Action" form being filled out.

In other words, a written warning for my employee record... but I'll call it "Strike One".

5 comments:

01 Lightning said...

Since you are calling it Strike One, That must be the first "Corrective Action" you have gotten. Do they go away? who found the mistake? Email me with the answers!

Jil Wrinkle said...

Here are comments from my boss, Denise:

Well, I've seen job postings that have made it a qualification that you could not have had a Corrective Action within the past 6 months, but when they were handing out the retention bonuses this year, the criteria were that you had to have been in "good standing" for the previous 12 months and that included if you had any Corrective Actions on file within that time period. So, there doesn't seem to be a policy that says these things stay on record for a set period of time. There also doesn't seem to be a rule about how many one could conceivably get within a certain period of time without losing their job. The form itself says verbal, written and then final, but we're not required to issue them in order. Someone could start right out with a written and go to a final if the infraction was not corrected. Someone could get successive verbals without even going to a written, depending on what the problem was and the surrounding circumstances. I think of them as step 1, step 2 and step 3, of course with 1 being the least serious.

The thing is, the company really doesn't want to be in the business of trying to fire people. The form is supposed to serve the purpose of documenting that there was something wrong that needed attention and they fully expect that that will be the last of it.

Probably not the clear answer you were looking for, but that's the best I can do.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Oh... and based on the e-mail trail, the first e-mail I saw was from the in-house transcriptionist at the hospital that received the report... so the best way to say it is that the client found the mistake.

Issarat said...

Jil, you still have 2 strikes left so, no worries. This sounds like it wasn't your fault.
BTW, the weather has been fantastic here lately huh?
Send me a comment on my blogger site if you would like to meet up at TQ2 this weekend.
-Franky

Jil Wrinkle said...

Franky...

Possible that I might make it to TQ2 on Sunday if I'm not too far behind on work. Maybe I'll see you there then.