Sunday, November 13, 2005

Out For The Evening

Being Sunday night, it was out to TQ2 as per usual. All of the regulars were there, which totalled about 10 or 12 guys.

The only problem — if you can call it a problem... per your point of view — is that everybody feels the need to buy a round. I drink draft beer at TQ2. It takes me about 30 minutes to drink one. Unfortunately, every 15 minutes, somebody buys a round for the gang. I managed to drink 3 beers, but left 2 completely untouched.

No... I didn't buy a round. It would have been laughable and a waste: All the tables were covered with full glasses from previous rounds that nobody had gotten around to drinking. Why add to that?

Took went out to TQ2 with me last Sunday, but stayed home tonight. Sundays are all about socializing, which oddly enough, Thai girls really do not enjoy doing. It's probably one of the great misconceptions that farang guys have about Thai girls... but I've learned to understand: You can't take a Thai girl, and throw her in a crowd of other Thai girls and expect her to quote-unquote "make friends".

Thai people are friendly, and get along well, but they have zero ability to chat each other up; to make light conversation. It will happen eventually and possibly, like at this afternoon's house-warming party, but it's best not to expect friendships to develop between two thai girls just because they both were at a party together... and walking up to another girl standing around and saying, "Hi, I'm Took! Nice to meet you." That doesn't happen.

4 comments:

Issarat said...

Jil, I like your blog page. It is the first one I have ever read, good job.
Your comments on the thai smile are right on.
Keep up the good work.
-Franky

Issarat said...

BTW, I will be at TQ2 next week..drinks?

Jil Wrinkle said...

I'm not there too often, but only go on Tuesdays, sometimes Thursdays, and almost always on Sundays.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Sorry... I never go to TQ2 on Wednesdays... that's Rib Special night at Bob's BBQ. Sundays are the only day when I go to TQ2 with any regularity.