Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pattaya Marathon Set To Kick Off At Insane Hour

I'll be the first to admit that going out and running 26 miles in tropical heat is an undertaking reserved for crazy people. You couldn't get me to run 26 feet in Pattaya's heat.

Therefore, the Pattaya Marathon will be starting early in the morning to avoid the daytime heat. How early? Early enough that about half of the race will be run in the pitch blackness of the pre-dawn hours. Remember what I said about staying off of Pattaya's roads during those times? Doesn't apply here.

Anyway, if you find that you're sitting around Pattaya at 3:00 a.m. 4:00 a.m. on July 15th... or more accurately, the night of July 14th... grab the pretty Thai lady sleeping next to you and wake up and run down for the 4:00 a.m. starting time.

Oh: By the way... stay away from the Pattaya Marathon website... after crashing my browser, my virus software went crazy. The marathon's website is as malacious as the starting time and marathon itself.

3 comments:

Brunty said...

Hey Jil. I have some running buddies here from Isaan going to Pattaya to run in the marathon. I run the local 14 Km race each year and a few 10km ones but that's it for me. Have to be insane to run 42 Kms. I ran 24 Kms last year when we were training and I have to say that I was sore for days and my body ached like crazy.

Had run 10-15 kms every day but that extra but hurt a lot.

And 3am that's insane. The 14 km run here starts at 4.30am.

I seen your mate Bob in the Pattaya People I think with a picture of himflipping burgers promoting his new restaurant near Carefour. I look forward to my next holiday down that way and some of the places you have reviewed.

Brunty

Issarat said...

Brunty,
When are you going to be in town??

Jil Wrinkle said...

I'm changing the wording of the article: I used the 3:00 a.m. time as the time one would have to wake up for the 4:00 a.m. starting pistol... which is obviously a bit misleading.