Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Daily Report: Early Bird, No Worm

I was up really early today: 5:15 a.m. That's such a great feeling to get out of bed nice and early, and realize that — if you wanted — you could get to work and finish your whole day before noontime... and relax by the pool all afternoon... and go out drinking and dining in the evening...

... anyway, that isn't what happened. Instead, I didn't start my (paying) work until late morning. Instead, I sat around blogging. Blogging can be really time consuming sometimes. I may wind up coming off as clever on my blog... though that is debateable... but it always takes me a while to think of something clever to say. (You meet me in person, you know this to be true.) Then there is just finding stuff: That Red Dwarf theme song took me 20 minutes to find and include in yesterday's post. (Did any of you click on it? Didn't think so.) Of course, my 1-month goodbye anniversary was no simple thrown-together piece either. That took time.

So it was not until 10:00 a.m. that I finally settled into work. And then, of course, my DSL internet promptly went down... and stayed down for the rest of the day. It always waits until I start work to do that. Once I switched to dial-up internet, that started disconnecting every 10 minutes. My work computer is so slow (old computer plus upgraded operating system) that whenever I connect to the internet, connect to my company's Cisco network, or do any other memory-intensive operation... the whole computer pauses and sputters in overload. Jeez... I need new gear.

In the end, after 6 hours of straight typing, I made it pretty close to my goal of 2,000 lines of transcribing. Not a great day overall... but acceptable. No hairshirt pajamas for me tonight.

After work, I spent an hour doing my online project. Then it was out to the motorcycle shop to get the oil changed on my bike. I went to the Turkish restaurant and bought cabbage rolls for dinner, and to the bookstore to pick up book #8 in The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan. (The plastic wrapper that all books in Thailand are sold in on this particular book had split down the seam, exposing the book to the (gasp!) air, and therefore the book was considered to be ruined, and was sold to me for only 100 baht... instead of 450 baht.)

I went home, ate my cabbage rolls, watched a Discovery Channel program about the war in Afghanistan, and then sat in bed and read my new book, and had a beer, before going to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually have 2 phone lines--one TOT and one TTT, each with ADSL. They are combined into one connection with a router. I can't remember the last time I had downtime. Something to consider (perhaps, if both services are available in your area).

Brunty said...

Hey Jil. I am lucky and the ADSL hasn't been to bad here in Isaan but again we don't get as much cable theft as you guys in Pattaya and that's what they blame most the time.

I looking forward to finding out about "your online project".

Brunty

Jil Wrinkle said...

JD: Good idea you have, but it takes several months (if ever) before you can get an additional phone line installed in your house. In many neighborhoods, TOT or TTT has a monopoly as well.

Also, I rent this house, and I would have go through my landlord to get an additional line if it were at all possible.

This week is the first time the internet has gone down for more than a few seconds at a time in several months, I think... so compared to what I had gone through with True Internet, it is much much better now.

Brunty: Don't get too excited about the online project... but I'm glad I'm generating some curiosity.