Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bloggers

I love reading my daily lineup of blogs (found on the right-side column on this page). However, now that there is Republican political blood in the water, a lot of the liberal blogs have just gotten to be exceptionally shrill.

"George Bush goes to Mongolia? What a loser."

That kind of thing.

The dialogue has gone from "How can we explain why Bush and the Republicans are a disaster?" to "What bad things can we say about Bush and the Republicans (and I need links to back me up)?"

Don't get me wrong... I still read the blogs faithfully, but I find myself skipping the articles that are obviously just manic rants of joy about how after years of blogging, payday has finally arrived.

Andrew Sullivan has managed to remain thoughtful and focused, and hasn't gone off the deep end... but he's basically conservative. He just has enough brain and honesty to recognize mistakes (his own and those of his political heroes) and ponder on them. The other conservative bloggers just make up excuses for the mistakes, look right past them, or (the only intellectually honest approach) explain why they aren't mistakes at all.

Well, to be honest, I'd rather have my favorite liberal blogs be shrill and vapid because the Republican powerhouse is collapsing, as compared to going back to, say, 2002... when "questioning the war makes you a traitor to America" was the rule of the day. (Remember the Dixie Chicks?)

Still though, in 12 or 13 months, when Democrats take back congress, I hope that the liberal writers can do something better than "neener neener."

No comments: